Preventative Care Tips
April 14, 2022
Tips From the Pros for Protecting Natural Stone Floors and Countertops During Holiday PartiesAh, 'tis the season ! Inviting friends and family to celebrate the holidays can be a joyous occasion filled with love, laughter and that inevitable spill or stain on your natural stone floors, countertops, bar tops and other surfaces. Here are some precautionary tips from the PROS to prevent damage to your beautiful stone:
- Spills from soda, coffee, fruit juice, and red wine can stain stone surfaces even some granite, if they are not sealed properly. Wipe up spills immediately to inhibit staining. If a stain does develop, make a poultice. If etching occurs from acidic spills, give your stone technician a call.
- Use trivets, doilies, tablecloth and runners to protect stone tables and countertops from hot plates and food spills.
- Have coasters readily available on stone bar tops, tables and countertops, and encourage guests to use them.
- Wax from brightly colored holiday candles can easily drip down and stain stone surfaces. Place a plate or placemat underneath candelabras, advent wreathes and menorahs to collect dripping wax.
- When preparing food on stone countertops, use cutting boards to prevent chips and scratches.
- Use floor mats, especially at the front door, and encourage guests be comfortable by taking off their shoes and high heels to avoid scuff marks on stone floors.
- Furniture should face each other to allow guests to be social without having to drag chairs along your stone floor. At the very least, put felt pads on bottom of all chair legs to minimize scratches.
And, remember if you have any issues that you can't fix on your own, contact us immediately. It's important to always keep your investment looking its best.
This article is one of a series of articles written and published on behalf of SurpHaces PRO Partners